Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How to Give Your Sweetheart a Gun Without Getting Shot

I have a friend who got a gun as a gift from her husband.
Yeah, it’s been several weeks since Christmas and they’re still married. Can you believe it?!
I suspect the sudden urge to purchase unregistered firearms and give them as gifts has something to do with the fact that the Democrats are back in power.
I am not kidding when I say that many East Texans are picking up unregistered guns at gun shows just in case gun control becomes a popular legislative topic again. (For more on Second Amendment rights see my column titled “Amendment #2: Guns,” posted on my blog.)
I asked my friend if she was disappointed that her gift didn’t come with more sparkle, the kind found in gifts of a more geological nature, like, say, diamonds.
She shared, with a twinkle in her eye, that she thought her husband was inviting her into his world. She was honored that he views her as his favorite companion.
Wow. I’m not sure who impressed me more; the wife who had such an understanding heart or the husband who took a chance and managed to communicate so well.
I found her attitude about the whole thing inspiring.
So, in case any guys out there are considering a gun for their sweetheart for Valentine’s Day, here are some suggestions on how to give a gift of weapons, without having it backfire.
-Do what my friend’s husband did and make sure she understands that being your hunting buddy means quality time together.
-Give her a card with those sentiments first, so she understands your intentions before she is holding an unwrapped, unregistered weapon in her hands.
-Hide the ammo, until you are positive she understands.
-If she points the new gun at you, run.
Better yet, give her jewelry first, before she opens the gun.
Call me materialistic, but I find it somewhat unromantic to be reminded about household chores or to suggest that I might want to hunt for my food. So, we have a new gift rule at our house, just in case my husband confuses rifles, vacuums, tools, or household items as gifts.
The rule is simple, if it goes on earlobes or feet, it is an appropriate gift, especially if it comes in gold, silver, or shiny.
I’m only writing about guns as gifts because I think my friend deserves the “Wife of the Year Award.” I think her husband knows it, too.
I’m pretty sure all his friends, including my husband, are jealous cus he has such a cool wife.
So, buy your sweetheart a gun for Valentine’s if you must, but while you’re at the gun store, be a sweetheart and throw in ear protection.
To go over those nice shiny earrings that came in the velvet box. Just in case.
Cathy Primer Krafve, aka Checklist Charlie, lives and writes with a Texas twang. Comments are invited at http:/checklistcharlie.blogspot.com or cathykrafve@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any veteran who suffers PTSD, anxiety neurosis, depression or any other emotional disorder cannot legally own guns in Texas. Send these guys to war though, and they are issued all kinds of weapons. It's a paradox if not an oxymoron. Therefore, many wives are given money for firearms as Christmas gifts for a family's self-defense. But I don't think it is possible to buy firearms without registering them and having a background check at gun shows. Maybe so, but I'm not aware of any.

Cathy Primer Krafve said...

You brought up some serious issues, particularly PTSD, and I tend to keep my column/blog light. Still, I appreciate your thoughts. So, I asked around and here's what the guys (in my part of Texas) are telling me: if a dealer sells you a gun at a gun show, the dealer does a quick background check that includes paperwork and a phone call somewhere. Individuals can sell personal guns, registered and otherwise, at booths or just walkng around at gun shows. Thanks for reading.