Friday, January 29, 2010

Resolutions. Really?

I just hate resolutions. They sound so political. As if we are proposing some government agreement that is personally binding. Ick. As appealing as taxes.

“I set 8 goals last year and I’ve only got one left,” said a twenty-something friend about November of last year.

I was impressed; my resolutions never make it into February. Plus, eight is less than one accomplishment a month. Definitely do-able.

And it was cool stuff, too, like a bucket list.

“I’m sending you the abridged version,” laughed my friend when I asked him for his 2010 list. Before I could wonder what he left off, he added, “It’s going to include swimming in the Krafve’s pool once a week.”

In 2009, this young man managed to run a half marathon in under two hours, open a Roth IRA, save money for retirement, begin saving money for a down payment on a house, buy a serious piece of fun sports equipment, build his website, come close to running a six-minute mile, pull together one of his projects and submit it for a state-wide award.

He’s not even 25-years-old yet. Wow!

Notice how measurable and practical his ideas are. And there’s fun in the mix.

So, what’s he got on the agenda for 2010?

-Run a half-mile in under 1:50.

-Run a 6-minute mile.

-Learn to play harmonica

-Read the bible every day; no matter how short the passage. At least crack it open.

-Win a work-related award.

-Open a money market account and invest.

-Become conversational in Spanish.

-Do a 100-mile bike race.

-Choose a three-course meal and perfect cooking it.

Yeah, I like his list so much, I’m having trouble making my own set of goals for 2010.

Let’s just tell the truth; a fifty-something mom-type is not going to run a six-minute mile. However, but I am thinking of putting at least one of his ideas on my own list.

Yeah, if you change swimming, to laying out by the pool and working on my tan once a week, I’ll have the beginning of a list I can relate to.

Goals. I like the sound of that. And I still have eleven months to go.

Cathy Primer Krafve, aka Checklist Charlie, lives and writes with a Texas twang. Comments are invited at http://checklistcharlie.blogspot.com.

No comments: