Monday, November 24, 2008

How to be the Spouse at a Business Gathering

My friend sat at the table, looking quiet and lost.
Normally talkative, entertaining, and outgoing, I wondered if he was coming down with a cold, or something.
Then, it dawned on me, it was the first time he had ever been the spouse at a business meeting.
Normally, he was the boss and his wife was the sidekick. With their roles reversed, he was clearly feeling like a duck out of water.
This is the time of year when holiday parties happen.
With that in mind, I am passing along some tips from my vast experience of being the sidekick.
Number one: It’s not about you.
-Don’t compare yourself to anyone else in the room.
-Don’t worry about what anyone thinks of you. It is irrelevant.
-Do focus on the other people.
-Keep all humor self-effacing. Tell stories on your spouse that highlight a wonderful character quality.
Number Two: It IS about your spouse, sort-of.
-Brag about your spouse. Make any comments that begin with “I am so proud of the way my spouse…”
-Be careful not to say anything that implies need for improvement.
-Dress in a way that honors the other person, neat and modest. Not sloppy, frumpy, and certainly not too vavoom.
-Remember that it never reflects well on your spouse if you get sloshed; better not drink if you can’t control yourself.
Last and most importantly: It is really about the co-workers.
-Greet each person, each time, with warmth and genuine interest.
-Ask open-ended, noncontroversial questions.
-Listen attentively like the person is the only human in the room.
-Look for ways to encourage your spouse’s co-workers.
-Say the positive things you know to be true, for example, “I’ve heard my spouse say how much he respects you.”
-Keep a grateful heart and express thankfulness where it is appropriate, “I am thankful for the things you do to help my spouse.”
-Be open to new friendships.
-Keep in mind that holidays can be difficult for folks because of grief or painful memories; be gentle and tender, aware and attentive to how people may be suffering this time of year.
Above all, have fun and enjoy being the sidekick in your spouse’s world.

No comments: