Monday, November 24, 2008

Reasons to Be Thankful

This time of year I always have one more reason to be thankful; I’m still here.
Yep, my birthday is in the fall and in honor of the occasion, every year I give myself the gift I really want; a better community. One small check at a time.
Here’s the 2008 list of winners of the Checklist Charlie’s Birthday List of Favorite Community Groups in East Texas.
-The Lift the Library Fund supporting the library in Frankston, where since the mid-80s, books have shared quarters with the Depot Museum. Send checks c/o First State Bank PO Box 277 Frankston TX 75763. The Bullard Library, housed in the familiar old log cabin downtown, it is time Bullard’s library had the space to match their hard work, vision, and community service. PO Box 368, Bullard TX 75757. The Noonday Library where Miss Loretta blesses folks by knowing their names and ordering new books with specific kiddoes in mind. 16662 CR 196 Tyler TX 75703.
-The Neonatal Unit at Trinity Mother Frances. We have always had to load extremely sick newborns into helicopters and ship them off to Dallas, where their families had to cope with the additional burden of travel and lodging. Fortunately that is about to change. It can’t happen soon enough. Donations should be marked Neonatal ICU and can be mailed to Trinity MFHS Foundation at 611 Fleishel, Tyler TX 75701.
-Bathesda Health Clinic. Step inside the clinic and you will immediately recognize that the key to their success is their commitment. Providing health care for the working underinsured of Smith County, Bethesda is primarily staffed by hundreds of doctors, nurses and other volunteers. Plus, while patients pay a small fee, the burden of the cost is shouldered by visionary private donors.
-Discovery Science Place. I love the attitude of teaching kiddoes while they are having fun. I respect all the sacrifices made along the way by the team of community leaders who have worked hard to give East Texas a science museum and then used the facilities to bless lots of families, including my own. They make my list every year: 308 N. Broadway, Tyler TX 75702.
-Pine Cove Christian Camps, where scholarships make it possible for many military families to attend family camp -sometimes while daddy is on tour- and also Boys and Girls Club kiddoes attend camp every summer because of lots of small gifts from people like you and me. Mark checks “scholarship” and mail to PO Box 9055, Tyler TX 75711.
-The TISD Foundation. Every community should be so blessed to have folks willing to give their own money to improve and empower the public schools. One of the oldest education foundations in Texas, this pioneer in public school philanthropy is always coming up with new ways to make public school education better in Tyler. If your business benefits from people raised in the TISD, why not put a check in the mail in honor of your employees? Or if you are interested in learning more about how an education foundation can serve the community, go to www.tylerisd.org.
This Birthday List distinction does not come with a trophy, but it does have a cash prize. I’m turning 50, so I’m sending $50 to each of the lucky winners. They also get listed on my blog. Whoop-te-do, right?
Yeah, I know it’s not much, so I’m hoping you’ll find it in you heart to put a check in an envelope, too. Either to the groups on this list or to the folks you know who are working hard in this community.
They tell me every little bit counts. I believe them. Obviously.
Better communities is a gift we can all be thankful for.

No comments: