Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ambitious Grandparenting

When I grow up, I’m going to be a grandparent. That’s my motto. My big ambition.
I habitually point out every baby in the grocery store, just in case my own children aren’t catching all my other subtle hints.
My husband encouraged me to stop making a fuss over babies since young moms might think I was some kind of stalker. Moms tend to smile nervously at me as I coo, then push their cart quickly away.
I also turn all mushy when I see grandparents out with their grandchildren.
Have you ever noticed how all grandparents say the same thing?
“Grandchildren are wonderful; you can spoil them and then give them back to their parents.”
I can’t wait.
In the meantime, I am gathering as many hints as I can from folks who seem to grandparent well. Here are the common themes:
-Have fun together. “You are my favorite person in the world to be with.”
-Be their confidante. “Yes, your mother drives me crazy, too, but please remember what a terrible mother she had.” Say that with a big smile and see how long it takes that sweet little one to figure out the joke.
-Back up the parents. “God will most certainly judge your parents some day, but in the meantime you should obey them and wait to see what happens next. I believe they have your best interests at heart. And who knows, maybe lightening will strike.” This happens to be my personal favorite.
-Encourage them. “You are amazing. I’ve never seen such a talented child. I am so proud of you.”
-Let them know that your love is unconditional. “All people make mistakes, darling.’ Think how ancient I am and just how many mistakes I’ve made. I have experience; I can help you with this.”
One grandmother told me years ago that she spent as much time as she could with her grandkids when they were little, so that they would listen to her when they reached the junior high years.
She opened up her home and her heart to those grandkids frequently over the years. Real frequently.
Guess what?
Now those grandkids are in high school and college and they call her to see if they can invite their friends over to her house. They’ve been having birthday and graduation parties at Nonny’s house lately; clean-cut affairs with water sports, but no alcohol.
I am inspired by her attitude.
Young people always bring energy, passion, and joy into our lives, not to mention a good laugh or two at the parents’ expense.
Sounds like a ton of fun for the ambitious grandparent.

Cathy Primer Krafve, aka Checklist Charlie, lives in beautiful East Texas with her family. She welcomes all comments, suggestions, and lists at CAEKrafve2@aol.com

No comments: