Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cure for Grinchitis

I don’t know about you, but the idea of Christmas giving throws me into a panic. You would think finding dozens of perfect gifts would be easy; the stores are helpfully filled with all kinds of junk this time of year.
Oh, maybe that’s it: the junk factor.
Or maybe my tight-wad soul just can’t seem to cough up that gigantic bottom line cost of Christmas that eats through a big chunk of the annual Christmas bonus.
Yes, I am a self-confessed, incorrigible Grinch. If grinchitis is one of your habitual holiday responses, then I have a thought.
Maybe the wrong people are on our gift list.
To compound the problem, each year at this time, I get a year older. No wonder I’m grumpy.
So, to cheer myself up, I’ve started making out a gift list for the things I really want for my birthday and the holidays. The names on this list are the people I really want to spend my money on.
So, who made the list this year? Well, it’s usually top secret, but just in case you are grumpy, too, I’ll share.
-The Bullard Library. For the holidays, I am giving myself the gift of an East Texas with more books, more technology, better educated kiddoes, a place where seniors can socialize; you get the idea. The address is Friends of the Library, PO Box 368, Bullard TX 75757. I love the Noonday Library, too, in part because Miss Loretta has all but adopted my son. Their address is 16662 CR 196, Tyler TX 75703.
-Discovery Science Place. My children grew up running through the cave and vibrating on the earthquake without ever realizing that it was a form of education. Kids who love science are bound to grow up into adults that benefit East Texas. Their address is 308 N. Broadway, Tyler TX 75702.
-The New Neonatal Unit at Trinity Mother Frances. I am so thankful that parents in the crisis of having a critically ill baby will not be forced to helicopter their newborn to Dallas. Mary Dale Thomas, honorary chairman of the drive to make this happen, is also enthusiastic about this way of giving.
“If you are searching for a special gift for a loved one, this would be so fitting because it will be helping our very smallest patients,” she says. Donations should be marked Neonatal ICU and can be mailed to Trinity MFHS Foundation at 611 Fleishel, Tyler, 75701.
-Pine Cove Christian Camps. In the last few years, the folks at Pine Cove have partnered with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tyler to bring kids to camp that normally would not have the chance. Mark checks “scholarship” and mail to PO Box 9055, Tyler TX 75711.
As I type this, I am realizing that children are a theme that runs through my list. Hmm…that seems appropriate for Christmas.

Cathy Primer Krafve, aka Checklist Charlie, plans to help her husband cover the house with Christmas lights instead of grinching about it, but that is a whole ‘nother story. Comments are invited at CaeKrafve2@aol.com.

No comments: