Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grandparenting – More Merry

Today’s column is dedicated to all the terrific grandparents out there.
I am surrounded by people I trust to give me excellent advice on grandparenting, so I am taking careful notes and keeping my fingers crossed.
In the meantime, here are “Thoughts from a Grandmother” written by my friend, Merry Jayne Davis, of Bullard.
“After my children were married my prayers for them changed from finding the perfect mate, to the children that they would have; my grandchildren.
My prayer was that they would be healthy and have a heart for God.
As a parent I wanted to pass down my heritage of knowing God and having a relationship with Him to my children.
As a grandparent I desired to share the same treasures with my grandchildren. So, before they were born my prayers focused on them as well as their parents. My husband and I pray nightly for their future and protection.
What a blessing it is to know that someone loves you enough to pray for you!
-Pray for your grandchildren.
Pray for them and with them; at meals, bed time, when they have concerns.
- Make sure they know that you and God love them.
To let your grandchildren know that God cares for them you can have Bible Story movies available for them to watch. Bible books are good also.
Spend time talking to them. Give them al lot of hugs, kisses and let them know what a great person they are. I always tell mine that they are special.
I ask them if they know why they are special. The answer is because God made them that way and there is no one like them in the whole world. They are special!
-Communication.
Write and telephone your grandchildren. They love to hear from you. Send them little gifts.
Make plans with them for when you get together. Have projects ready for when they come to visit. Make cookies, art projects, and take nature walks.
- Teach them skills.
Sew, garden, art projects, sports, etc. These are great bonding times as well as giving them a feeling of accomplishment.
-Plan trips.
We go on a trip once a year with our grandchildren. They help to make the plans. We keep a journal as we travel about what we have done. Take a lot of pictures. They love to see themselves and remember the fun time they had.
Be creative with your time with your grandchildren. Make time with you a special time.”
Well, you can see why I value Merry Jayne’s advice. Who wouldn’t love to be her grandchild!

Cathy Primer Krafve, aka Checklist Charlie, is currently helping plan her daughter’s wedding and hoping for future you-know-whats. Comments are invited at CaeKrafve2@aol.com.

No comments: